When you custom build a home, you can control the electric service, lighting and placement choices. But for most home buyers, these decision have been made by the builder or previous home owner. So here’s a few things electricians will do to improve the safety, comfort and convenience in their new home:
- Replace all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors. Whether you upgrade for performance and reliability or replace with the same brand is a matter of choice – but always replace them to keep you and your family safe.
- Upgrade the electrical service with new panel. Today’s homes use a lot of electric power to support appliances, computers and entertainment devices. Inadequate or obsolete panels can cause overloading, system shut downs and even fires. To stay connected and safe, many older homes benefit from an electric panel upgrade.
- Install a whole house surge protector to keep appliances and computers safe from unexpected power surges.
- Installation of LED and recessed lighting. By far the most energy efficient, cleanest and most eco-friendly way to illuminate your home. Their long life and energy efficiency also save you money.
- Installation of ceiling fans in bedrooms and family room. With so many designs and options, ceiling fans improve the comfort, style and lighting in any room. They provide cooling in the summer and push warm air down to keep you comfortable in winter. They really are a year-round value!
- Installation of back-up generator. Whether you choose a portable generator panel or an automatic standby generator, it keeps you connected. It’s especially helpful in areas that are prone to power outages or for those who operate a business from their home.
- Installation of GFCI receptacles. These shut off electric power if a ground fault occurs to prevent electrocution and insure safety. They should be used in all bathrooms, kitchens, garages, unfinished basements, laundry rooms and on the exterior of your home.
- Replace receptacles with tamper resistant devices for child safety.
- Installation of LED under cabinet lighting in the kitchen. It is an inexpensive way to add style and value to the room while improving energy efficiency and lighting. With so many options, you can create the right mood for your family’s favorite gathering spot.
- Replace builder grade or prior owners light fixtures with something that is “our” style. Light fixtures are an accessory – so we want them to enhance the look and feel of the room.
Whether you are just moving in or been in your home for a while, these are some upgrades you may wish to consider for safety, comfort and convenience.
If you are local in Central New Jersey, give us a call at 609-581-0788 for a free estimate